Dear friend of Pine Mountain Christian Community Church,
When I was in high school, I was an average to below average student. But I noticed that the good students enjoyed studying, and actually enjoyed taking tests! I didn’t understand that. I mistakenly thought my life would be better without studying and without tests. But the good students recognized that study brought knowledge, and a test would help confirm what they knew, and alert them to areas that needed improvement. As a follower of Christ, I now realize that God gives us tests for the same reason: to help confirm what is right in our life and also to show us our weaknesses. So I need to be a student of Jesus and a student of the Bible. Jesus said that if anyone builds their life on His teachings, he is like a man who builds a house on a foundation of rock: when the winds blow, the house will stand strong against the storm. On the other hand, a person who doesn’t build his/her life on the teachings of Jesus, is like a person who builds his house on sand. When the storm comes, the house will collapse (Matthew 7). A storm is a test for every house. And since a smart builder knows that the storms will come, it is only good sense to build a house on a strong foundation. Abraham was tested many times. Sometimes he did well, and other times he failed. But this week we will look at the greatest test of his life: I’m referring to the event in Genesis 22 when God told Abraham to sacrifice his son, Isaac. Wow! What a test! I hope I never have to take that test! But the test did great things for both Abraham and Isaac. I hope you will join us as we examine this dramatic portion of Scripture this Sunday, August 2nd.
PLEASE NOTE THESE COMMENTS AND EVENTS:
* Beginning this Monday I will take a week of vacation. For this reason the Men’s Bible Study will not meet on Wednesday, August 5th. If you have any prayer requests, or needs, please contact anyone on the Church Council: Marsha Fiore, Jack Mackenzie, Jonathan Serrano, Tom Smith, or Gil Valenzuela.
* I want to remind you and invite you to come to the church prayer meeting on Wednesday night in the Sanctuary at 6 p.m. There will be a time of praise to God, as well as a time of praying for individuals, our church and our nation. Come be a part of changing the world through prayer!
* On Sunday, August 9th, we will have a guest preacher! It will be Tyler Van Horssen, a theology major at California Baptist University. I know you will be blessed as he brings a message from the book of Philippians.
* Something new: the youth (Jr. High and High school students) will be gathering on Friday evenings for a fun activity. This Friday, July 31st, we will take a hike to the Enchanted Forest! Students should meet at the Activities Center at 5 p.m. We will be back by 6 p.m.
THIS WEEK’S CHURCH CALENDAR:
* Friday, July 31st at 5 p.m.: Youth gathering at the Activities Center
* Sunday, August 2nd at 9 a.m.: Adult Bible Study in the Activities Center
* Sunday, August 2nd, at 9:30 a.m. : All Church Prayer time in your home or in the church sanctuary. Please pray for God to work in all of us as a fellowship to grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:18). And pray that God will use our worship service to bring all who attend, whether it be in person or online, closer to Christ.
* Sunday, August 2nd at 10 a.m: Church Service in the sanctuary. Also streamed live on pmccc.org, Facebook, and YouTube. Sermon: “Abraham is tested” Genesis 22
* Sunday, August 2nd at 5 p.m.: Youth Group Bible Study in the Activities Center
* Wednesday, July 29th at 10 a.m.: Women’s Bible Study in the Activities Center
Studying the Word of God and preparing for the next test,